Sunday, January 30, 2011

Jamie

For those of you who read my blog, you will have heard mention of a certain someone named Jamie. He is my husband. We've been married for twenty years, together for twenty six years and I love him and miraculously still like him. I'm not being mean here. It's just that after so many years together, we really do like each other! That's big!



Today is Jamie's birthday. He doesn't like to celebrate his birthday. We are total and complete opposites in that respect. I LOVE my birthday, Jamie not so much. We have different viewpoints on life. I tend to be a glass half full viewpoint, Jamie not so much. But that's not the point of my blog today. Today I celebrate Jamie being Jamie. He loves me. He likes me. I know he would do anything for me and has and will always be there for me. He adored James from the moment he was born and didn't think it was possible to love someone as much as he loved James until the day Joseph was born.

I had never had a dog and begged to get one after a few years of marriage. I brought him to Canine Corral in Huntington and he fell in love with Jake as fast as I did. I've proceeded to bring home Sammy, Joba and JJ successively. He falls in love every time. And I love that about him.


He loves baseball. He loves NASCAR. He loves cars. He loves his puppies. He adores me and he adores his kids. If you're a "friend," consider yourself lucky. He'll give you the shirt off his back.

He was determined to coach his son in baseball all the way to a District 34 championship. He knew it would take two years to build a championship team and he did just that. He freaking did it.



You have to admire a man who sets a goal and reaches it; whether it's winning a baseball championship, raising a family or being a good friend. Jamie met his best friend at the age of five who became his partner in crime, his best man, godfather to each other's first born sons and his friend whom he texts or talks with a couple of times a week, if not every day, some forty-seven years later. That speaks volumes for the kind of man Jamie has become.

He has traveled to White Plains for work for the last 20 years. I don't know how he does it. I'd have thrown in the towel a long time ago. His work ethic was ingrained in him by his parents, especially by his dad who worked for Grand Union for over 50 years. His dad gave him the very sage advice saying you'll never get rich working in the food industry but you'll always have a job. People have to eat. Jamie's stable profession allowed me to get involved in industries that were not as stable but gave me some great professional and personal experiences. I thank him for that.

Jamie is always striving to do more, to do better. I always like to remind him of the amazing accomplishments he has achieved...a long marriage, two amazing children and a good life. In the words of Clarence from It's A Wonderful Life, "Dear George, remember no man is a failure who has friends." In that and many other respects, Jamie is not lacking, to say the least. 

So today I celebrate Jamie on his birthday. Happy birthday, my love. Thank you for being a great friend, life traveler, husband and parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment