Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snowberia

At 11 pm last night, I knew there would be no school today. It was thundersnow. Seriously. The dogs went out and took a while for them to come back in. Got the call at 5 am that school was closed. Settled back into sleep. Up at 7:30 to let the dogs out, grab a cup of coffee and kiss my husband goodbye as he headed off to work.

There's a couple of things that made me go Hmmmmm today. My 14 year old headed out with the snow blower in his entrepreneurial spirit to make a few bucks. Snow fatigue must be setting in with the locals. The last time he ventured out, he got one customer. That's when he told me, "You know, Mom, people in Dix Hills must have a lot of money. Everyone has a service to plow their driveway!" For the record, we don't. We invested in a snow blower. I believe it was an anniversary present from my husband to me on our second anniversary???? We had a long chat after that. I've not received any sort of maintenance equipment since then unless specifically requested by ME. Does a Dyson count as maintenance equipment? I digress. You can finish that sentence, Stephanie ;)



James had three customers today. He worked hard with his buddies Matt and Cameron. The younger boys, Joe and Logan, helped me dig out Jamie's car for which I compensated them (a whopping $10 each) but they were thrilled. Back to the big boys. They are polite, young gentleman. Cam came back looking for water because they were all hot from snow blowing, a seeming oxymoron, I know. He knocked on the door and asked for water. When James and Matt came back, I made cheeseburgers for them. Matt thanked me over and over and over. He helped us re-shovel the end of the driveway after the fabulous town plows plowed over the end of my driveway for the third time today.



It was a snow day today and I succeeded in making it my version of a snow day. I always dream that on a snow day, I'll bake and the house will smell amazing and I'll watch old movies. So today I baked bread, baked cupcakes, watched the Big Chill (ironic, I know) and grilled cheeseburgers. Not bad for a snow day.

Today's snow day proved true a proof. Water seeks its own level. And that makes me happy.

1 comment: