Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Day

Today was a snow day which was in the planning since yesterday. I was out running errands in the early evening yesterday when I got the first text from James saying school is closed tomorrow and a request for a sleepover. I said yes as I am wont to do. I use the word "wont" a lot because it's a great word and I don't think it's used often enough.

Jamie had to head out to work and James asked him to show him how to use the snow blower. I give James credit for even wanting to head out and clear driveways. I watched Jamie explain how to use the snow blower. Every time I use the snow blower, and yes, I have, I have to call Jamie and ask him how to start it up. On one occasion, I was snow blowing (don't go there, people) in my fur coat (yes, I have one and they are really warm; get off my ass, PETA) and I fell. My next door neighbor thinks people falling in the snow is hilarious. But I digress.

James got it immediately. Men really are from Mars and women really are from Venus. He went around the neighborhood trying to clear driveways with little success. But he tried anyway. And he did the next door neighbor's house. He wasn't getting paid, he did it because he is a good kid.

It was a really good snow day. A sleep over, pancake breakfast, hours in the snow and then sledding for the boys. I opted to tackle the dreaded task of cleaning up the guest room, aka holiday catch-all room, and got it done.

I always have great dreams of snow days. I'll be sitting on the couch sipping hot chocolate enjoying a movie. It never seems to work that way. I worry that the boys are staying out too long in the cold, how's James doing with the snow blower, is anyone suffering from frost bite?

My point here is it's a snow day. Hearken back to your youth. Go play in the snow. Sometimes it's just what we need.

PS Thanks for the sledding pics, Sue.

No comments:

Post a Comment