Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Auld Neighborhood

My mom is known to her ten grandchildren by the moniker of Nanny. James and I went into my old neighborhood for my dad's memorial mass today. I grew up in a little neighborhood called Inwood. It's at the tip of upper Manhattan and if you've ever seen the commercial for the Circle Line where they pass the big C rock, then you've seen my neighborhood.

James enjoys going back to my old neighborhood and meeting up with Nanny, Uncle Thomas, Aunt Mary Ellen and his cousins, Connor and Hunter, where he is regaled with stories from our childhood as we pass particular points in the neighborhood or as we sit eating lunch at the Piper's Kilt, our favorite lunch spot in the old neighborhood. For example, at mass today, I pointed out Mrs. Brady who was my fifth grade teacher. She is 91 years old. We were told that her mother is one of the miracles that led to the sainthood of Therese of Lisieux, Theresa was my chosen confirmation name.

I believe that our family is particularly blessed with quite a few storytellers. It's how memories live on and my son marvels at our family gatherings and how we remember so many of the details and keep track of all the people in our lives, both past and present.

James enjoyed his time with his family today. I enjoyed the quiet time we had in the car today where we got to have some good conversations meaning I got to ask him questions and he pretty much had to answer them because he had no where to go. Sometimes it's what we have to do as parents.

James said to me as we drove home I don't think I've ever seen Nanny laugh so much. It was fun to watch her laugh. It was cute that he noticed how Nanny feels. It's nice that my son understands he is not the center of the universe and cares about others.

Here's one of the jokes my brother told today that got us all laughing. If you've got a politically correct stomach, please stop reading now. If you're like me and just like a good joke, read on:

There's a church and a synagogue on opposite corners. The rabbi noticed there was a problem with rats in the synagogue. He decided to consult with the pastor of the local church to see what could be done. The rabbi entered the church whereupon the pastor greeted him warmly. How can I help you said the pastor? The rabbi explained the rat situation. The priest said, I have a solution. Gather up all the rats and I'll confirm them.

The rabbi felt the priest was probably mistaken but decided to humor him and hand over the keys to the synagogue. The rabbi was compelled to ask, how do you know if the rats are Jewish or Catholic? The priest replied, "It doesn't matter if the rats are Jewish or Catholic, once I confirm them, they never come back. "

BaDumpDump

No comments:

Post a Comment