Sunday, January 16, 2011

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Growing up with two brothers and one television in the house, I grew up a sports fan. Not a huge hockey fan but a huge fan of baseball, football and basketball. Now I'm a mother of two boys and I have a husband so I continue to be a huge sports fan. It's one way the whole family bonds.

I grew up in New York City so I've pretty much been a Jets fan all my life. If the Jets aren't in the playoffs, I'm happy to root for the Giants. But I'm a Jet fan. I remember Joe Namath as quarterback and his commercials on TV for Noxyzema (with Farrah Fawcett in her first national commercial), for pantyhose and his Broadway Joe persona. His electric personality made me a fan for life. So I've suffered for many years as a Jet fan, a situation that my friends who are Met fans are very familiar with but I don't have to suffer as a Yankee fan.

But tonight I was right. I knew the Jets could win. They had to overcome the humiliating 45-3 loss of last month. Rex Ryan had to put his money where his mouth is. In the last few years, Tom Brady has proven that he is beatable. There's a new kid in town and his name is Mark Sanchez.

So on a frigid Sunday in January, the Jets warmed everyone's hearts in New York. Special thanks to Shaun Ellis, a fellow Dix Hills resident, Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez for making me proud today. Go JETS.

No comments:

Post a Comment