Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Winter's Grip

We are deep in the grip of winter and I'm not liking it. Today was a particularly nasty weather day...icy streets, pouring rain, piles of snow. I'm tired of piling on layers of clothes and feeling like the Michelin man every time I leave the house.

Tonight I sat down to check email and do a little unwinding and turned on the Oprah Winfrey show. She is in Australia with a lucky group of viewers. I have had the great fortune to have traveled to Australia three times in my life and hope to travel there again sometime. She was in Queensland, spending time on the Great Barrier reef, a place I was lucky enough to travel to as well. It was one of the most unique and fantastic days of my life swimming on the reef. I snorkeled despite my fears. I was determined not to miss out on one of the 7 wonders of the world. The colors and kinds of fish were the like I've never seen before and hope to see again, next time with my sons if at all possible.

One young lady on the show today had never set foot in an ocean. She literally was wonderstruck at the feel of the salt water on her body and sat down in the buoyancy, fully dressed, just reveling in it.

I've had the great fortune to have traveled to many, many foreign countries and experienced some of the most wondrous times possible. I've had amazing times here at home, home being New York, as well and across these United States.

The simple pleasures that we take for granted are wondrous experiences to others.  I can dip my feet in the ocean any time I like. That thought makes handling the cold that much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment