Monday, January 3, 2011

Growing up before my eyes and I didn't even see it

A very special moment happened this morning. Let me explain.

I was waiting with my son Joe, my ten year old,  for his school bus on this frigid winter morning. I wanted to head out shortly after he got on the bus and decided to warm the truck up. I turned the key, the engine sputtered, refused to turn over and then died. Dead battery. It happens to this truck whenever I let it sit for a few days in very cold weather.

A string of expletives exploded in my brain but not out of my mouth. I told Joe I have to call dad so he can tell me how to hook up the battery charger. Joe said I know how to do it. Dad showed me.

You see, Jamie and the boys have been working on restoring a 1973 Challenger (see my previous post re: don't drink and ebay). Jamie has been teaching them lots of things. Joseph has clearly been learning lots of things.

Joe explained step by step what I had to do to charge the battery in my truck using the portable charger. Mind you, these are steps Jamie has shown me numerous times but I've been too lazy to file in my mental  file cabinet.

Joe left for school and I called Jamie to tell him the story. I'm not sure who was prouder...mom or dad.

My son taught me today.

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Love days like that. Our little boys aren't so little anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh the mother of three (yes three) motorheads. Better than the 49 bucks I just paid to renew AAA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sue and Lucy. You guys are my first and second comments! Yaaaaay!

    ReplyDelete