Sunday, January 9, 2011

Christmas Day Redux

I love Christmas Day. It is indubitably my favorite holiday of the year. Ask my kids. I do the Christmas tree, outside decorations, the whole magilla. My kids have been very enthusiastic about Christmas and pretty good about helping me out with the decorating. That sense of enthusiasm has waned in the last few years when it comes to set up and take down but they do love it once it's all up.

But one thing they never tire of is our second Christmas with Auntie ZaZa and Uncle Ferd. Fred and Arzel are our dear friends that we met at West Shore Marina over twenty five years ago.  They have the title of aunt and uncle and they are Joe's godparents. Every year we celebrate a second Christmas with them. We almost enjoy it more than Christmas Day!

Last night, we celebrated our delayed second Christmas. Fred and Arzel went to Florida for six days and got caught up in the snow storm debacle, hence the delayed celebration. We drank a lot of wine last night, hence the delayed blog. We ate a side of beef, we drank exquisite wine (Opus One/Cakebread/Cornerstone), we exchanged gifts, we played Guitar Hero, we played ShitHead (yes, it's a real game involving a hat with velcro and fabric turds and a points system. Joe won!) and generally had a blast.

Our friendship has lasted so very long. Jamie and I were dating when we first met them and they've been through everything with us. Engagement, wedding, births, deaths. They were the first people to see both of my children when they were born. I treasure them.

At one of our recent dinners, we created a new game, Dead or Gone. I know it sounds morbid but it's actually a fun game. Play along with me. Think about the people, particularly your friends, who were at your wedding. Are they still in your life? It was very interesting to see who is still in our lives from twenty years ago. I am thrilled to have them in my life and I hope you're lucky enough to have a Fred and Arzel in your life as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment