Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Paul

I grew up in a working class neighborhood in upper Manhattan, an area known as Inwood.

Inwood is a phenomenon that is easy to explain but difficult for people to comprehend. When I talk about my friends on Facebook and explain that a large group are my friends that I grew up with and have known since kindergarten, I get very quizzical looks, blank stares, narrowed eyes that say, yeah, right.

We are a mega-extended family in Inwood. We lost a member of that family the other day, Paul Meehan.

I grew up on West 207th Street  which had a high concentration of kids on the block. Our building had the Dixons, the two Clancy families, the building across the street had the Garveys, the Martins and the Meehans. That's just off the top of my head.

The Meehans are a large, boisterous, Irish-American family. They suffered the loss of a son, Damian, on 9/11 and now they've lost Paul. I hadn't seen Paul in the last few years but my mom still lives in Inwood and she had talked with him not long ago. He struggled with addiction, a problem that has touched most families both in and out of Inwood. My memories of him, as with all the Meehan boys, is that broad, beautiful smile, bright shining eyes, funny as hell, good looking, easy going and easy to laughter personality.



Death is inexplicable. Yes, there is a physical explanation but too often, we don't understand the why. Maybe we're not supposed to. I'm not philosophical enough to even begin to explain but I hope Paul is at peace.

The Inwood family will gather on Thursday night to honor Paul's memory and to share stories of our childhood. Irish wakes, particularly Inwood Irish wakes, are loud; the funeral home halls will reverberate with laughter through tears, the faces will look a little older but will become younger by the minute with every story told.

On Thursday night, I will spend a few hours in the warm embrace of my Inwood family to honor the memory of Paul Meehan. May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

Services for Paul: Wake Thursday @ Williams Funeral Home, 5628 Broadway, Bronx, NY. Funeral Mass on Friday @ Good Shepherd Church.

5 comments:

  1. Mary, that is just so beautiful. Wonderful post! We are so lucky to have grown up in Inwood; looking back, I never realized how much I missed the connection until I got clean and sober myself. How I wish Paul did as well, but you're right, we're not meant to understand everything. God Bless, and I'll be one more person shedding tears and saying goodbye to a childhood friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, God Bless You and Your Family! I had the Privileage to go to GSS with Paul for those 8 years. Hearing about his lost was just a Sad and Shocking News! May The Lord Give The Meehan Family Strength and Peace! Being Able to be Raised in Inwood amongs Family~Friends! Is something nobody can break! Paul will be missed and Loved by All, Rest in Peace Paul!
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,
    What very sad news for the Meehan family. Your post was beautiful. Inwood will always be our home no matter how far away we live. People are always amazed that I keep in touch with all the friends I grew up with. We now realize as time goes on how important our Inwood connection is. With deepest sympathy to the Meehan family.
    Joan O'Sullivan Riggs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary,
    I didn't realize until now that you wrote a blog. This is a wonderful tribute to Paul & the Meehan family. The Meehans were always a part of my extended family Damian & Janine were in my sister and brothers classes - Damian, Paul and Chris were always in my house, my dad coached them in Irish football, my sister and brother and I were extraordinarily close with them growing up. Everyone on Cooper & 207th were like extended families - our doors were always open to each other and the laughter, as you pointed out, was always there - even when there were tears. Thank you for writing this - it brings back memories and comfort to me as well as others who have been fortunate enough to have the Meehans in their lives.
    Anne Marie Geary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. It's a special place, no doubt, where we always can come home.

    ReplyDelete