Saturday, February 12, 2011

Listen

Sorry I've been delinquent in my posts but it's been a long week and I've struggled to stay awake at night, unsuccessfully, to write.

The other night while driving into Inwood, the universe called out to me and I listened. Let me explain.

We get signs from the universe all the time. More often than not, we are so caught up in getting from point A to point B that we miss them. I am as guilty of it as the next guy but as I get older, I am making a sincere and conscious effort to enjoy the now, the present.

On Tuesday, I wrote about my friend, Paul Meehan, and his passing. It was heartfelt and seemed to touch a lot of people. I was thrilled to have the ability to express a sentiment that so many felt was their own. I was touched by the response to it. I was extremely happy to bring a smile to the faces of a grieving family.

I was up early on Thursday morning for my run, 5:30 am. It was the usual morning activities...English muffin for James before the bus, share my English muffin with the dogs. Making beds, folding laundry, getting Joe on the bus. Heading out to a variety of activities which would take up the better of my day until it was time to get the boys off to haircuts.

My boys go to a barber shop, not a salon, not a hair studio, a BARBER shop. It's a very cool place with very cool rocker guys. Utah cuts James and Mike cuts Joe. Mike was a full half hour behind schedule which normally wouldn't bother me but Thursday I needed to get into the city for Paul's wake. So I was stressing a little. The wake was at 7 and you can just never tell how long it will take to travel 37 miles on the Long Island Expressway and the Cross Bronx Expressway.

We finally got out of there just after six, raced home, got changed and probably drove past my husband on the LIE somewhere. I like my drive time. I blast music and enjoy some quiet time with my own thoughts, seeming oxymorons but so not. I don't even make phone calls. I just chill.

The ride was uneventful and I prepared to exit the Cross Bronx when a car in the middle lane suddenly cut in front of me. I didn't honk the horn. I didn't get pissed. I didn't get angry. These are the things I do try to let go. Maybe they were talking with their kid and lost focus. Maybe they got lost in a great song and almost missed their exit. In any event, they got in front of me and I didn't freak. Then I saw the license plate on the car. I tried to take a picture of it but all I have is a blurry car and lights. It's hard to take a picture of a moving car while negotiating pot holes on the Cross Bronx.

The universe spoke to me in the form of a license plate. The license plate and the universe said

LOVEMARY

The universe spoke. I listened :)

2 comments:

  1. OMG....You are freaking me out...can't wait to hear the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is definitely a sign. Great seeing you the other night.

    Stephanie O'Neill

    ReplyDelete