Monday, December 27, 2010

Beating Your Children

Don't take the title literally...I don't beat my children. But I did beat my son at Finger Football tonight. I came, I played, I read the rules, I let him slide and I still kicked his ass.

Finger Football was one of Joe's Christmas presents and he set the game up so we could play. He's kind of a ham-fisted kid right now as he's only 10 and he's a boy. You moms out there with 10 year old sons will know exactly what I mean. Finger football is played with a roll up field, markers for downs, a football in the shape of a plastic round form with a ball bearing in it and a foam football in which to score field goals. Finger football is played just like real football as in the same rules.

I have better dexterity than my son as well as fine motor skills which results in more touchdowns and a seemingly magic touch when it comes to throwing dice. All of this results in a very frustrated son because he's losing and I'm winning. I finally had to call a halt to the game because he was being a sore loser.

There are those who would say adults should let kids win. Or you should reward the mere fact that a kid participates in an activity. I am not of that opinion or school of thought. I played by the rules and even let him slide a little on questionable touchdowns. But I draw the line letting him continue to play when he's being a bad sport. It's a life lesson in the form of Finger Football.

By the way, the score was 32-18 at the end of play. Just saying....

No comments:

Post a Comment