Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Radar

It's been ten days. Mea culpa.

Baseball season has officially started so fair warning....I will try to blog as often as I can and as often as those crossing my path provide me material.

Radar will be the theme today. I pride myself on my internal radar. I've got pretty good instincts when it comes to people. Today was a busy day. I was planning on picking up James from baseball practice. He called and said practice was done early so he'd walk home. I'm sure the nice weather was part of the decision. I got home in time to get Joe to his first baseball practice, met the coaches who seem like great guys. I know a bunch of the kids on the team from previous teams and I'm lucky that the kids have great parents, especially the moms. I spend a lot of time in the bleachers and it's always better to spend that time with moms you like!

It was Jamie's turn at bat to get Joe to a baseball workout and I had to get home and pick up James and head over to the high school for a baseball meeting.

I'm sitting in the auditiorium. This guy walks by. My radar goes off. Let me explain.

You've seen these guys. I'm pretty sure he was in his 40's hence my bewilderment at his outfit. Bright orange UnderArmour fleece, blue basketball shorts, Reebok zigtech shoes, spiked hair (dyed, I think), cool "nerd" glasses. He was working very hard to look young, or younger than he was. The word "tool" just keeps flashing through my brain.

He sits down. His wife follows. She's well dressed, Burberry coat, expensively cut and coloured hair, major size diamond on the right hand, french gel manicure, age appropriate outfit.

They chatted through the whole presentation, holding hands, hugging, kissing. Not so appropriate for a high school auditorium. The director of athletics finishes his presentation and asks that everyone wait and file out slowly to the next room where individual sports will meet. I stand up and have to step back as the "tool" bolts across me to be the first one out the aisle. I have to step back quickly to avoid being trodden.

He says oh, do you want to go first? I say, no, I would never want to get in the way of a man in a hurry. He must be important. The wife says, oh, is he in a hurry? I say, he must be as he just about trampled me in his hurry. She giggles. Airhead, I think to myself. Nope, proud of myself that I didn't say any of these names out loud. After all, it is Lent.

Head up to the next classroom. "Tool" is in my classroom. His kid plays on the varsity team. Let me change that. His kid is ON the varsity team. Whether he plays or not is a whole other story.

I grab a friend of mine. You see that guy in the orange sweatshirt? Do you know him? Yep, he knows him.  I tell my auditorium story. He's a tool, I say. You're right, he says.

There was a huge scandal here on Long Island. Turns out it was actually a country wide scandal...involving mortgages. He was a key figure.

My radar is SO on the money. I should have tripped him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment