Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Changes

So I just got a new phone. I previously was a proud Blackberry owner but after ass dialing WAY too many people, I had to move on. My girlfriend Lucy was the recipient of many an ass dial because she was speed dial P. I moved her to C for Crazy which is her ringtone and that solved that problem. Then I started ass dialing another poor woman with a P name. Problem not solved.

So I moved onto the iPhone. It's a whole new learning curve. I've had an iPod touch for years so some of it is very familiar to me but it's really just re-training my old habits. Jamie gave me a Mac for Christmas and I have to call on my son James for seemingly simple tasks (ie adding in a picture of Dancerina Ballerina to last night's blog). I go back to my old PC habits which just don't work on a Mac. I have an iPad2 on order from BestBuy but I'm afraid that may take awhile after the devastating earthquake in Japan. In any event, it's an old dog learning new tricks. I was at James' first game of the season for Hills East JV team and tried to take a picture of him at bat. I ended up taking video instead which was totally cool and was a feature I had not used heretofore. Heretofore is an awesome word, BTW.

I've been learning a lesson for the last few days that we all learn all our lives. Change is inevitable. Is it forced upon you? Did you bring it upon yourself? Do you accept it or fight it?

Jamie does not accept change very well. I know that about him but sometimes I force it upon him because I know it's best. In our Commack house, I rearranged the living room and he about crapped himself when he walked into the house. When we recarpeted the great room, which was our living room but totally deserved to be called a great room because it was freaking huge and had cathedral ceilings and a fire place, I foolishly let him convince me that "silky terrier" was the right carpet for our great room. No offense, guys, but you all don't have very good spatial skills. You can look at a small carpet sample and not see that in a very large room, it's not off white, it's white.

The Home Depot guy came, installed the new carpet. Jamie walked in the door and said, wow, it's white. Ya think?????

Then I rearranged the furniture. Jamie experienced a new puppy, a new baby and a poor carpet selection all in the space of one year. White carpet, a new puppy and a new baby don't mix.

Jamie survived. I still force change upon him. I order new furniture. He comes home and sees it installed. I change carpet without telling him. He's survived it all. And actually come to like it eventually.

Change is sometimes painful but is usually good for the soul. I know of which I speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment