Sunday, May 22, 2011

In life, some lessons are best learned, not taught

I feel like I've been on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride the last few weeks. I haven't blogged in a while and I truly do miss writing. There is a lot on my mind but first and foremost has been my son, James. James broke his wrist while playing JV baseball. He saved the team's win but suffered a buckle fracture of his radius and a fracture of his ulna.

What was unbelievable was the range of motion the kid had on his wrist. When we took him to our orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Jerry Ellstein, he basically did the same check that we did...flip the wrist forward, back and twist from side to side. It was the x-ray that had the final say. Final prognosis: cast for four weeks, one week off, physical therapy and he's good to go. Here's the beauty of youth - you heal well and fast. It's like the green sapling branches on a tree in the spring. They bend but don't break. Dr. Ellstein said if it was my husband, it would be six weeks in a cast.


By the way, if you ever need an orthopedic doctor, I highly recommend Dr. Ellstein. I met him on February 5, 2000. It had been a particularly icy winter. We had a new driveway and Jamie was reluctant to use ice melt. I was on my way into the city on a Saturday morning at 7 am, forgot my cell phone and headed back to the house to get it. I was eight weeks pregnant at the time with Joseph. I parked on the driveway, ran into the house, grabbed my cell phone, ran back to my truck and lost my footing as I got into my truck. I fell onto the ice under the truck and broke my humeral shaft on my left arm. I'm left handed. My friends have all heard this story. I'll fill you in on the details in another blog but the point here is when I went to the emergency room, Dr. Ellstein was on call. God was watching me that day. He brought Dr. Ellstein into my life and through a variety of circumstances, he has stayed in my life. This is James' second go round with Dr. Ellstein. The how and why are fodder for another blog!

Back to James...

When a fifteen year has a broken wrist and he plays baseball, it seems like the end of the world. The down side of youth: perspective cannot be taught. I understand as a woman in my forties that four weeks is doable. To a fifteen year old, four weeks is FOREVER. It's a rarity that I need to cheer lead James but that's what I've been doing the last four weeks. James LIVES for baseball. I love his enthusiasm for the sport, for the comraderie, for his teammates. It's been taken away from him for a short period of time. I marvel at his fortitude. He turned his energies to his studies. He's right handed and he broke his right wrist. I contacted each of his teachers and the school administrators that he would be facing some difficulties for the next four weeks. Can I tell you that he has not asked me for assistance in writing or typing homework since he broke his wrist? He's sucking it up and getting it done. It's the kind of kid he is.

He's got great friends. He has sought them out and they have rallied around him. They've bucked him up and made life bearable. I take him to see Dr. Ellstein on Wednesday and hopefully he'll have good news that his injury is healing well. So say a prayer for him.

I had a girls' night recently after James broke his wrist. On the way to Becky's house, I broke down. I don't know what it was. I think I knew I was headed to hang out with a bunch of moms who knew exactly how I felt and maybe I felt safe there. It was my safe place to have a cry. I pulled myself together in the car and had a great evening with the girls. Some of my girls know me better than others and knew I was upset but didn't pursue it. If they had, I would have lost it totally.  They talked to me about it after the fact, made sure I was OK and I love them for that.

There is no more helpless feeling than wanting to solve a problem for your child that is only solved with time. I am, at times, a super woman but even I cannot overcome quantum physics.

The last couple of weeks has been a struggle but we've made it through thus far. Bear with me. It's a break I could use.

No comments:

Post a Comment