Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Flowers

It was my birthday a few weeks ago and life being as hectic as it is, it's hard to get together with the girls for lunch. It was Steph's birthday the other day as well so the impetus was there. Thankfully today all four calendars converged and it was lunch at Wild Ginger.  I had the lettuce wrap with chicken, no peppers. But I digress.

I got flowers today. I love getting flowers. Whether it's daisies, roses or a beautiful spring bouquet, those flowers catch my eye when I walk through the kitchen. Their bouquet, the scent that is, wafts into my senses every time I pass by, slowing me down from the every day tasks of loading up the dishwasher, moving the laundry from the washer to the dryer, picking up discarded sweatshirts tossed off sweaty bodies.



Flowers are like lunch with the girls. You don't need them but you so love the splash of color they add to a rainy day. They make you pause. They subconsciously force the body in perpetual motion to slow down, take time from your busy life and enjoy the now.

On the way out of the restaurant, a fellow diner commented on my bouquet. She jokingly said, "oh thanks for carrying them to my car." Her husband stopped us to tell a story about how on their first anniversary, he sent her flowers. When he got home from work, he asked her where the flowers were. She said she put them outside. She didn't really like flowers. He said he never got her flowers again and they were married 47 years. I think he should have given her and the natural beauty of a fresh bouquet of flowers another chance.

Thank you, ladies. You are the tulips, lilies and delphinium of my bouquet today. I'll never refuse such a beautiful, fragrant, vivacious bouquet.

2 comments:

  1. I too love fresh flowers...unfortunately I do not have a green thumb and have destroyed every plant I've purchased over the years! I love buying fresh flowers, they bring a smile to my face when I pass them on the dining room table as like you, I go about my daily chores! Enjoy yours Mary! Barbara Boyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has the same curse. You are not alone! I seem to have the green thumb. Thanks, Lady BaBa!

    ReplyDelete